Thursday, June 12, 2008

Task A - Telnet

I finally managed to work out how to get into the Telnet feature on my computer. I clicked on Start/Run and then typed in Telnet, up popped a black screen.

I was completely unsure what to do at this stage so being female and not scared to ask for help, i pressed the ? key, which threw up a very basic help guide.

After a few key clicks, and after taking a stab in the dark and confirming that I was indeed using a VT100 compatable pc...i was indeed in the Library Site....YAY !!!!

I was able to follow the basic instructions and email the required list of books to my student email address. I felt great. I was able to master this after much intrepidation.



My opinion of the Telnet feature is "wow", this stuff is hard work. If I was working in my position today and having to use this type of system, lets just say, I would be bald from ripping my hair out. It is slow and tedious, although I am sure that in the past this was technology was the best and many many people (hey Mum !) used this system and managed to perform their duties effectively and efficiently...all I can say is thank god for the evolution of technology.
I decided to do a search regarding the uses of Telnet and found the following interesting points at
1. Telnet is a text only protocol
2. If you are a gamer, there are a number of text based games still available through telnet. See Yahoo's page on MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons).
3. Outside of games, unless you already know of a particular use, such as connecting to a particular government database, you probably have no use for it.Today a few game site still have some applications that are run on Telnet.
Even though I found it slow and so "old fashion", if the World Wide Web was to go down this would at least enable a connection to be made to another system if required.
All in all a very good learning experience for me.

No comments: