Sunday, June 15, 2008

Internet Tools

I started reading the section regarding Internet Tools and the idea of tracing the packages of information to the required site really got me interested.

I thought that it was great being able to trace the connections and which connections were made and how long it took to actually access other computers from mine. I previously had a limited knowledge of how information was transmitted but this exercise has really made the process clearer.

I logged onto the Network-Tools.com and pinged curtin.edu.au, which gave me the following results:



RESULTS: 18 hops at a speed of 262 ms to reach curtin.edu.au IP address 134.7.179.53

I used the inbuilt tracert program by typing tracert curtin.edu.au into the Run Window. I was really excited, how easy is this huh.... but.....it didn't work, it showed the screen and the downloading hops...but as soon as it got to the end, the window closed.

So alas, after putting on my thinking cap I decided to go through the C prompt.
This time it worked and it showed the following screen:



RESULT: 18 hops to get to curtin.edu.au IP address 134.7.179.53, arriving on the 19th hop at a speed of 64 ms.

The two differing results show that my computer seems to connect to the site at a faster speed then the Network-tools system.

I decided to download the suggested PC: A-Tool bar and see if using a different program would produce the same results. I am not sure what happened, but when i Ping'd Curtin.edu.au, it only took 5 hops at a speed of 64ms.



I decided to try another test between the inbuilt tracert and the PC: A-Tool bar so I thought a search of the University of China at www.ouc.edu.cn.

Using Tracert on my Windows XP it took 21 hops to reach the University of China at IP 22.195.158.135 at a speed of 347 ms. Using the PC: A-Tool system it took 5 hops and arrived at a speed of 346 ms. This has confused me a little as i am unsure why it only takes 5 hops using one system and yet 21 hops using another.

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmm I ponder !!!

No comments: